"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~Randy Pausch



Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Insufficiency Sacrum Fracture

Sounds bad, doesn't it? It could be worse. My MRI on Friday was to rule out Avascular Necrosis. That's when you take steroids for too long and you get a blood clot in the "ball" of your hip bone. That causes blood to stop flowing through your bone and your bone starts to die. So, it's not that...that's the good news. The bad news is that I have a fracture of my sacrum (the triangular bone at the base of your spine). It's insufficient not because it's not a big deal. It's because my bones are insufficient for holding my weight. The steroids caused my bones to thin and my bones couldn't keep up with my weight gain. I'm only 134 lbs, but I guess gaining 30 pounds in 3 months wasn't the best way to go. So, I've read that the only treatment is heat and pain meds. I might have to wear a brace, but probably not crutches. I see an orthopedic doctor on Wednesday out in Anderson. We'll see what they have to say. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment