"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~Randy Pausch

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Finally, Happy Tears

No meltdowns since earlier this week. I don't think that means I'm "feeling better," but I'm not feeling worse. Treatments have been rough now that I'm only coming three days a week. I tried really hard not to gain alot of weight since Thursday and I did alright. I think that I'm actually gaining real weight, though, now that I'm eating better. Most of you will be happy to hear that. I was looking a little scant there for a while. So we'll still have to work on my dry weight as I get heavier.


I went to visit Anna on Thursday and the nurse asked if I knew where her new location was. I guess they moved her on Wednesday, the day we didn't get to visit. So they told me where to look for her and when I turned the corner my eyes welled up with tears. She's in a crib, not an incubator! A real bed for my big girl. I broke down in tears...happy tears! We're getting closer. Uncle Briney got to hold Anna Banana for the first time. I think he needed that.

More good stuff when I came up yesterday. Anna gained 2 ounces and now weighs 3 pounds 10 ounces. Also, the mean nurse had removed her oxygen to see how she'd do without it. And for the two hours that I was there she did great! It was very encouraging. And when the doctors did rounds they decided to try Anna on a bottle feed. They'll start slow with only one bottle feed a day. They don't want her to get too tired and then give up.

I called later in the afternoon to check on her breathing and the mean nurse said she had to put her back on the oxygen, but that's normal. The flow of the oxygen is less than before, so that's still a step in the right direction. And she did get a bottle feed at lunchtime. It apparently took about 3 minutes for Anna to figure out what was going on. She didn't understand what she was supposed to do. But after a while she caught on and finished all but 5 mL of her bottle. They gave the rest of it through her feeding tube. Making progress!

And the best news of all: The nurse told us to start getting her room together this weekend. She said she can see Anna coming home within 2 weeks! She's ahead of schedule...hooray!! I just hope she doesn't have to come home on equipment. I'd be too worried to sleep, ever!