"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~Randy Pausch



Friday, June 4, 2010

Dialysis Day 16

They took away my chair neighbor. I can't see "Martha" today, but I can already hear her. I guess lots of people rearrange their schedules on Fridays so they can get in early and go away for the weekend. So, there are more people here than normal and I got banned to the back Pod. No big deal. I'm with "Mike" who brought in donuts for the nurses. Nice. Think they'll share? Not so much.

Finally got a hold of the people at Children's to have the baby's heart monitored. I go next Wednesday. The appointments last 2 1/2 hours because "we are at the mercy of the baby." She told me that the appointments will be weekly, but she did say possibly biweekly. Why not!? My doctors appointments are becoming a full-time job.

New guy came in and walked straight over to his chart to check out his numbers. I'm always afraid to do that...like the chart they keep on me is some sort of top secret document that I'm not privy to. It is all about me, right? I need to start taking control of things and learning where to find all of my numbers. Woah! New guy is also changing his own dressing and getting himself hooked up. I don't think I'm going to be taking that much control!

My phosphorus is still low, 1.9. They want it around 3. I haven't been limiting my dairy or tomatoes, so I guess it's time to start drinking more soda. They say that dark colas are the highest in phosphorus. You know I'm a Coke-girl, but I haven't craved one in a while. I guess that's good, but I'll have to force myself to drink one now. Apparently I can also eat kidneys to increase my phosphorus. Ironic, huh?

2 comments:

  1. Eating kidneys? Blargh! I think I'd rather take the Coke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a little leary of the new guy with his chart-reading, dressing-changing, hooking-himself-up behaviors. We could call it being proactive. Or mutiny.

    I am also a little confused about why the lady without any legs was put in a recliner. . .

    Thanks for providing the updates. You have a fun cast of characters!!

    ReplyDelete