"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~Randy Pausch



Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dialysis Day 20

She looks like an alien, Mama.

Ultrasound went well yesterday. I was a little nervous because she was very still at the beginning. It wasn't till about 5 minutes in that she started moving around like a crazy woman! The tech spent a lot of time looking at her heart, but the doctor said everything looked fine. I'm 21 weeks and 4 days, but she's measuring at about 20 weeks. She's in the 12th percentile for weight, so she's a little one. We knew that. But, nobody at the OB's office seems concerned.

Nor do they seem concerned about my weight loss. I have lost 4 pounds since my last OB appointment. They are thinking that I've been retaining so much water over time that dialysis is still getting me equalled out. I have another appointment in 2 weeks and we're going to re-evaluated my weight at that time.

I go to Children's today to have the echo done. It is apparently another ultrasound but focuses specifically on the heart. They look for certain arteries and such. They will also be checking out the interval between her heartbeats. This interval will be tracked over time to see if she is moving toward heart block. Heart block is when the heart rate goes from 120-160 down to around 60. If they notice the heartbeat going down then they can give us some medication to help improve the rate. The ultimate would be that she would need a pacemaker shortly after birth. I have will have an echo done once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment