"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~Randy Pausch

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Back to Work

Yesterday was interesting. It was my first day back. I wasn't very nervous. I've had a priority shift as you can imagine. So going back to work didn't stress me out; it can't.

It was really nice to see my coworkers. Everyone has been so great and supportive. I tried to talk with my students about my situation and about dialysis. But, with one mention of "needles" and "blood" one of my students hit the floor! She totally passed out and fell out of her chair! I could not believe it.

Then, later in the morning I was moving a box from one shelf to another and it fell. It hit me in the face and now I have a huge fat lip with a blood blister on it. There is a bloody mark from my tooth. too. I thought about packing up and going home after all that!

But the afternoon was great. Jason always sends me flowers on the first day of school. This was my first day of school, and there were the flowers. So nice. An anonymous family at school has asked if they can adopt our family this holiday season and "take care" of Christmas for us. I can't believe it! They usually adopt a family through their church, but this year they want to help us. I can't believe it! And they want to remain anonymous, so we may never know who our Christmas Angel is.

Finally, my last three classes were upper-classmen and seem like they are going to be lots of fun. They were very interested in my story and very interested in dialysis. They asked great questions and were very sympathetic. I'm looking forward to getting to know them as the year moves on.

We'll See How it Goes

Today is the day I'm nervous about. I'm on dialysis now and need to be back at school by 12:30. It shouldn't be a problem since they said I could come to the hospital at 7:00. But the nurses were in no hurry this morning. I got on around 7:15 and should get off around 11:30. That leaves enough time to stop bleeding and to get to school. We'll see how I'm feeling, too. I sometimes feel really worn out and other times I can make it till around 4:00 before I start feeling bad. I'm going to take some Tylenol even if I feel okay, just in case,


  1. Praying for you to have a good day.

  2. I haven't written in a while, but I just got caught up on the last couple of weeks of posts. So excited for you about your upcoming trip and about your supportive students and coworkers. Big hug, chica!!!