"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~Randy Pausch



Thursday, November 18, 2010

Working While on Dialysis

I had to return to work right after dialysis on Tuesday. It was the first time, and it was okay. Of course, for the first time I had blood splattered on my shirt. Since I already had someone pass out on Monday, I had to find another shirt to wear before I went in. Note to self: Always pack a change of clothes!

I got to school with 3 minutes before my class started. It was raining, so the drive took longer than I expected. I parked BEHIND two other cars since there were no spots left and it was raining. And I think I was so rushed that I didn't have much time to think about how I was feeling. I made it through the day and when I got home I had a terrible headache and fell asleep. Sorry, Kelly W. I fell asleep while your daughter and Alli were playing in the house!

My headache continued through the night and I even woke up with a headache early Wednesday morning. But other than a headache, I'm okay.

More Bad News...

The doctor isn't happy about my arm. He's really leaning toward having me get another fistula in the other arm. Yesterday I noticed that my arm is bruised all the way up by my shoulder. That's not normal since it's nowhere near where they stick me. That means something is going wrong when I'm running. Great.

And I got an email from the District Treasurer who wasn't aware that I'm coming in late two days a week. She's concerned about "how we will do [my] pay going forward because of [my] sick leave balance." Super. This doesn't sound good to me, but I'm going to meet with her on Tuesday to see what's going on. My principal is still on my side and offered "whatever" I need. We'll see. It seems there is an exception to every rule, and I just think that I'm a serious exception.

Prayers

I sent an email to my students' parents introducing myself and explaining (briefly) my situation. I received several response telling me that they are praying for us. The best email came from a woman who said she's been praying since May for an expectant mother named Kelly who is in kidney failure. She said that her name just showed up in her prayer box at church. Small world...amazing God.

No comments:

Post a Comment