"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~Randy Pausch



Saturday, December 18, 2010

Nice People

Dialysis in Delhi is nice. When I was set to leave on Thursday the snow was coming down really hard. And when I got out to my car I realized that I didn't have a scraper. So, I found a piece of cardboard to brush off the powdery snow. I sat in the car with my defrosters on waiting for some of the ice to melt down before I took off. But this older man who was dropping of his wife decided to scrape my windows for me. I'm sure he thought I was crazy for not doing it myself...or else he thought I was helpless. Either way, it was nice of him to help.

I also recognized another lady who was dropping someone off. She goes to our church and she gave me a look like "What the hell are you doing here?" I only said "hello" so I'm sure I'll have to explain sooner or later.

Now that I'm closer to home I guess I'm going to start running into more people who know me. My nurse today said, "So, I hear you're a teacher at Oak Hills." That's usually followed by, 'Do you know...?' She mentioned her son's name and I didn't recognize it. I explained that I haven't been in school for very long and I'm still learning names. But, I looked him up and there he was in my first bell. She didn't seem offended that I didn't know him. "He's really quiet," she kept saying.

My Own Bag

The hospital used to get patients a blanket and pillow when you want one. Not here, you need to bring your own. But, they gave me my own dialysis bag with a blanket and pillow that I can keep in my trunk. It also had some headphones for the TV. Everyone has their own bag when they come in. It's like we're in our own little club. Cute.

Ms. T

It's harder to know people's names here. At the hospital we each had a box of supplies with our names on them. They have a different system here. But I'm going to call the crazy old lady from last time Ms. T. She's not as crazy as I thought. She's really nice. I found out today that her husband died of sinus cancer. I've never heard of such a thing! She's been living alone since 1981. No wonder she has such a strong personality. You've got to be tough to be able to take care of yourself for that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment