"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~Randy Pausch



Monday, July 12, 2010

Dialysis Day 43

Can't Stand It

When you're a mom, you can handle when you kid pukes. There have been times when I've had to catch my daughter's vomit. But there is something about the sound of a stranger throwing up...I can't stand it! Add to it the fact that she's a LOUD puker and I'm in trouble. Please stop!

Blood Sugar

It's been one weekend of testing my sugar and it's looking pretty good. It's a little high after lunch, but that's it. I'm getting used to doing it. It's not hard.

My Little Acrobat

She's still extremely active. Each new OB nurse makes a comment about how active she is. I'm sure the other patients on the floor are getting frustrated by the noise she's making.

Alli is starting to warm up to me having a baby in my belly. She tells me every day that my belly is getting bigger and then she kisses it. She'll say hi to the baby and ask me if she's awake or sleeping. I think she's going to be a great big sister.

I'm getting anxious for her to come. Intellectually I know she needs to stay inside as long as possibly, but emotionally I just want her to come so we can see that everything is okay. I spoke to an old neighbor yesterday and she delivered her daughter at 30 weeks. She was 2 1/2 pounds and now she's 18 months old and doing great. She delivered here at Good Sam and loved the nurses and doctors. She had nothing but good things to say. The baby had to stay in the NICU until she could eat and breath on her own and regulate her own temperature. The amount of time had nothing to do with her age.

Surgery Questions

Several years ago, Oscar Robertson and his daughter went through kidney transplant surgeries. He donated to her. Her kidney failure was lupus-related, very similar to my situation. She is one of Jason's customers at the bank. I have an email in to her to see if there are any questions that I should ask. Since we haven't met with the transplant team, I'm still too uninformed to come up with my own questions. But I asked her if there were things that she wasn't prepared for that she wishes she knew ahead of time. Hopefully she'll write me back and help us get ourselves informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment