"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~Randy Pausch



Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I know...Sorry

I know, it's been a long time since I posted. Bit of a bump in the road for me.

I had a fever on Saturday night and normally wouldn't think twice about it...just take some Tylenol and see what happens. But just having the surgery on Monday sort of scared me so I called the OB. She wanted me to go to the ER and they found my white blood count and lactic acid levels were high. This indicates an infection. And I was admitted.

The fever at 10:00 on Saturday night was the end of the fevers. And my blood work has come back normal now. I spent one whole day in my room (no NICU visits because of the fever). But after taking a 36 hour break, I was able to go back down yesterday. We're waiting on a blood culture and urine test result (imagine trying to get a urine sample when you don't pee...not pleasant). Hopefully we'll get those results today and I can leave.

I feel good! No pain from the surgery and I haven't had any pain medicine in about 24 hours. Today's nurse offered it to me but I don't think I need it.

Anna Banana

They had to put an IV in her umbilical cord earlier in the week and they found out Sunday night that it wasn't placed right. There was some back-up and leaking so they took it out. No big deal. They placed another IV in her arm and it's doing fine. I got to "kangaroo" with her yesterday. I wore a gown and she wore a diaper and we got all wrapped up skin-to-skin. It was about an hour and a half and it was AMAZING! She was so calm and restful in my arms. I was so calm and restful with her in my arms. I think it was good for both of us.

My mom came in yesterday afternoon and got to hold her for the first time. She agrees that you don't realize how small she is until she's in your arms. Then Jason came up and got to hold her for a while before taking Alli home for dinner.

My phone rang last night around 9:30. "Is this Anna Grace's mom?" said the voice on the other line. "Yes...," I replied anxiously. I'm not used to getting calls at night and in fact they told us that they don't call unless there is bad news. I started to sweat and I'm sure my blood pressure and pulse went through the roof! But, it was her nurse that came on at 7:00 and she just wanted to call and let me know how she was doing.

And she was doing great! When the nurse moved her after her feeding she knocked the oxygen out of one of her nostrils and Anna did fine. So the nurse said she was going to try to get her off of the oxygen completely after midnight. Yay! She had to move the feeding tube from her mouth to her nose...no big deal. She's pooping and peeing which will help with the jaundice. The nurse had nothing but positive things to say and I think it really helped me sleep (as much as you can sleep in a hospital).

Back to Me

Doctors are down here talking to me right now. Even though I have had no fever in a while they are still concerned about the fluid around my lung. They can't tell if it's infected or not without sticking it with a needle and checking the fluid. The nephrologist is calling the lung doctor to see what he wants to do. But if they want to stick me I probably won't go home today.

And, finally, my phosphorus and potassium are high. This hasn't been a problem since I was first seen about the kidney problem. I would imagine that it's probably because I had two days off of dialysis (which is a blessing) and because I have been eating. Before I was eating so little that I wasn't worried about WHAT I was eating. Back on another medicine and on each treatment for 4 1/2 hours until we get all of the toxins out.

No comments:

Post a Comment